Minggu, 30 Januari 2011

Not your average gorilla!



I want to share something that is supposedly abnormal. Apparently my eating habits are quite weird and not very common.

No, I am not talking about my bottomless pit of a stomach. After all I am often called upon to finish other people's food at restaurants. However it is only amongst family and close friends of course.

What I am talking about is me habit of eating foods separately. Now this is not always pertinent when eating western foods but happens quite frequently with Asian foods. For example, when sharing foods where you have your own serve of rice and shared dishes are in the middle.

I make it a priority that I finish one dish at a time, meaning that I will only indulge a dish after another is completed with the right proportion of rice. Now this doesn't mean that I will not return to a dish that I have had earlier in the meal. It just means that I like to enjoy each dish without mixing the flavours.

A curry dish shouldn't be mixed with say a stir fried dish. The flavours of each dish should be enjoyed separately as I am sure that is how the chef wanted his or her foods to be enjoyed.

It is the same story when it comes to desert. When ordering gelati, I only have one flavour because I want to taste it in its uninterrupted state. By the way, hazelnut is the favourite!! Sometimes pistachio but never a fruity flavour. I mean that's why the French created petite fours so that the flavours never have to mix. Take note food fans.

1 komentar:

  1. This is very true. As his missus, I have suffered through many meals getting told off for mixing flavours in one plate. That and adding extra condiments (sambal is my fave) to dishes that he'd made for us. His reasoning would be that "That is not the way the chef (meaning him) had intended it to be!". One could say that he is quite anal.

    BalasHapus